ABOUT ME

T-cell ALL survivor since November 2008. Allogeneic stem cell transplant survivor since June 2010. Leukemia can be successfully treated. Keep your hope and faith!
Welcome to my blog. Please navigate to this page to go to the beginning and read my story:
http://jdchasfaith.blogspot.com/2010/02/begin-blog.html

To browse my blog more easily scroll down to the "Blog Archive" at the bottom right of the page or click on any topic under "Labels"

Google+ Badge

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Ecstatic for Energy Efficiency

I'm a green energy nut! I visited the U.S. Department of Energy's website to see what new innovations may have come up in renewable energy technology. They now have good blogs that touch on this very subject.

While I'm on this subject, I'm currently working on a project to replace all my light bulbs with CFL bulbs. I have replaced 11 bulbs already, half of all the fixtures in my house. Look at how more energy-efficient these bulbs are:

-I replaced four recessed bulbs in my kitchen that used a total of 260 watts. The replacement CFLs only use a total of 64 watts!

-Replaced two hallway recessed bulbs that used a total of 130 watts. The replacement CFLs use a total of 26 watts!

-Replaced a 65 watt outside porch bulb with a 13 watt CFL, and more light!

-Replaced a 60 watt bulb in my garage with a 23 watt CFL and light equivalent to a 100 watt bulb!

-Replaced three more bulbs with 13 watt CFLs, saving 124 watts!

-Total savings in watts = 510 with a savings of 25% of the lighting portion of my electric bill.


I'll admit, I did spend some money on these bulbs. They're not cheap, but they'll pay for themselves over and over in electricity savings. I'm working on other methods to conserve as much electricity as I can. I'll post those ideas in the future. Fall and winter are when my bills are cheapest. A mild winter is predicted this year. Since my house is very well insulated, I won't have to use the heat that much. My goal is to have at least two months of $25 or less electric bills!

Something else I've done is to purchase renewable energy "blocks" from my electric company. They offset some of the carbon from the electricity I use (my electric company uses coal and natural gas for electricity production.) Proceeds from renewable energy block purchases go to investments in clean energy such as solar and wind. You can purchase these blocks from your power company, or buy renewable energy certificates from other power providers. Visit this website for more: http://apps3.eere.energy.gov/greenpower/markets/certificates.shtml